Thursday, October 20, 2011

"Tools That Change the Way We Think."


The internet/media/technology only changes the way I think in a very minimal way. I do not look for information on the internet unless it is used for a school assignment. I know that the internet is a vast sea of information which was created by a multitude of informed and uninformed minds. I know for a fact that I will probably “short out” by trying to absorb so much information so I naturally lean away from using online sources to learn. Plus I can never fully know what I want to know until I run past something in life that strikes my interest and start asking myself and others present if they are around. I use life as a learning experience and my ability to concentrate and memory solely are dependant on that drive to search out an answer. Since there are no real features online that advertise knowledge about particular subjects, my curiosity is next to none when it comes to surfing the web for answers that I don’t have the questions for. I do not trust the internet with subjects that interest me too much because I keep finding advertisement everywhere for various things related to that subject in particular. There’s just nothing like reading a book or article about psychology or philosophy and not have some pseudo scientific ad flash in the corner of the page as a “sponsor” and makes you question the very integrity of the article. I see the internet as very manipulative and being lazy on the internet, I do not like having to check 5 articles to make sure one point out of five in a given article is correct. It is much harder to print erroneous information in books.My sense of time and priorities get really messed up online or even on the computer. There are so many ways of distraction that unless I sit down on the computer with a mission to get something done that I lose my focus and sense of priority within a matter of minutes by either looking up Facebook or playing a game. I need the mentor aspect or the feel that I have knowledge in my hands when reading a book and that it is up to me to unlock the knowledge within. I will never be able to let go of books. I see books as a way to learn and the computer as a way to blow off steam and relax and I dare not attempt to change it. I will admit, I love the technology of word processors that aspect of technology has been able to truly convey the ideas of my mind and let them be viewed by the world at large. In that sense technology has given depth and complexity to my thoughts because I can attempt to use words I typically wouldn’t use and look them up really quickly to make sure I used the word correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment